Vocational and Learning Disability Testing

Student’s often leave high school and struggle in college. This is especially true for students who have struggled with learning difficulties and/or Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). While in school, the student may have had a Individualized Educational Plan (IEP) or at the very least, may have had the support of a parent or concerned teachers, who provided structure that the student needed. When the student begins college, that structure is not automatically there, and it is the responsibility of each student to ensure that they have what they need to succeed.

If you (or your child) are transitioning from high school to College, it is important to discuss this transition with the guidance counselor at school or with a disability counselor at the College or University that you plan to attend. IEP’s and 504 plans do not automatically follow the student to college and it is important to ensure that needed services and supports remains available. This may mean having an updated psychoeducational evaluation completed to provide to the disabilities office.

After talking with a guidance counselor, it may also be helpful to contact the Department of Education and Vocational Rehabilitation in your state. The Department of Education may be able to arrange psychoeducational testing to be done to assist in the transition.

Another instance that Psychoeducational testing may be sought by student is to obtain accommodations (i.e., extra time on the test, etc.) on standardized testing (i.e., SAT, LSAT, MCAT, GRE, GMAT, etc.). Assessment for the need for accommodations in high stakes testing is very stringent and may or may not result in the student being granted accommodations. However, this testing may be required if accommodations are desired.

It is important to know that traditional medical insurance plans do not generally cover the cost of assessment, unless there is an underlying medical condition (i.e., seizure, traumatic brain injury, etc.) and a doctor deems the assessment medically necessary. Even then, much of the testing may not be covered. Contact the representative of your health plan for information regarding your plan.

Please contact us for further information.


Testing for Memory Loss

People often ask their primary care doctors about Memory problems. Oftentimes, PCPs and neurologists will send you to a neuropsychologist. A neuropsychologist is a licensed psychologist who specializes in neurologic conditions (i.e., Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, etc) and who assesses brain functioning through cognitive testing.

Memory Testing for older adults generally lasts approximately 2 to 3 hours; although testing can be longer if you are a younger person (under the age of 60) or if you’ve suffered a brain injury or have another neurologic condition.

Testing generally involves a paper and pencil test. You will also meet with the neuropsychologist to review your medical history prior to beginning testing. After that, she will test your memory and other cognitive skills, such as language and visual spatial skills.

At our practice, we strongly believe that your comfort is very important so that you are able to perform at your very best. We try to make the environment as relaxing as possible and will make needed accommodations so that you are comfortable. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.